Before I Turn 40 Bucketlist
Forty things. One year. It was a simple concept but, when I started to put pen-to-paper, it was harder than I thought! Each goal had to be realistically achievable within 365 days, so that ruled out traditional bucket list insanity like scaling Everest or vacationing on the moon. Each goal had to interest me in some weird or cool or personal way. And each goal had to challenge me somehow, requiring a bit of comfort zone step-outs from my normal routine.
So I began crafting my bucketlist, piece by piece, trying on each idea to see if it fit. With each addition I asked myself one final question: "do I want to experience this one?" Do I want to run a marathon? Nope. Scratched off the list. Do I want to fling myself out of an airplane and risk my life for a quick thrill? Hell yeah!
Ultimately my hope is that, by the time I turn forty on March 11, 2018, I will have a year of memories and stories behind me, reminding me that although aging is inevitable it can also be a kickass adventure!
So, without further adieu...here's the list!
1) Attend a large festival, concert, or event
2) Watch the sunrise on a beach
3) Ride in a helicopter
4) See a new Broadway show
5) Get a second tattoo
6) Eat in one of Worlds Best Restaurants
7) Do something spontaneous
8) Read 12 books (including 1 epic novel)
9) Afternoon tea once a quarter
10) "Give back" in a charitable way once a month
11) See a burlesque show
12) Do an NYC food tour
13) Be a tourist for a day in NYC
14) Attend the live taping of a show
15) Complete a 30 Day Challenge
16) Spend an afternoon at Coney Island
17) Walk a meditation labyrinth
18) Do something I've never done before
19) Celebrate 3 "national" food holidays
20) Witness a celestial event
21) Do something that scares me
22) Bake something from scratch
23) Win something!
24) Take a cooking class
25) Attend an educational lecture/speech
26) See a psychic or tarot reader
27) Write and mail 40 letters of gratitude
28) Get published
29) Finally go skydiving!
30) 40 pennies/40 wishes/40 fountains
31) Do something out of character
32) Host a dinner party in my home
33) Visit and explore a castle
34) Take a piano lesson
35) Spend the afternoon at a Turkish bath
36) Attend a rodeo
37) Drink champagne in Paris and Cava in Barcelona
38) Attend a whiskey tasting
39) See the view from Lady Liberty's crown
40) Sunset toast on the last day in my 30's